I've been thinking about the things that divide Christians and decided to jot some of them down. I'm sure you can add to this list, so please, feel free to do so with a comment or two.
Some of these are meaningless, and wouldn't stop two Christians from socializing or joining the same church. But, for some, these would keep them from socializing with you and you couldn't join their church if you wanted.
My recommendation; if someone withholds fellowship from you because of these, let it go. Pray for them and move on.
So, here we go...
That which divides:
- Bible versions: KJV, ESV, NIV, NASB, etc., etc., (I know you KJV guys are HOT now, ain't-cha?
- Church size: Small, medium, large, mega
- Church building: Traditional, house, cathedral, organic house
- Church mode: One meeting, multi-service, one location, multi-site, multi-campus
- Church Government: Senior Pastor, Lead Pastor, Deacons, No Deacons, Elder led, Congregational led, Women Pastors, Women Deacons, etc.
- Spiritual Gifts: Cessationist, full gospel (all gifts still exist), all speak in tongues, tongues don't exist anymore, no more "super-natural" gifts, etc.
- Church structure: Program driven (programs for every family member), relational driven (little to no programs that would divide families), Youth groups, No youth groups, Children's ministry, No Children's ministries, etc.
- Attire: Ripped jeans and shorts OK, Suit and tie preferred, Dresses for gals preferred, etc.
- Smoking: Can, should Christians smoke squares, cigars?
- Alcohol: BIGGY...Can, should Christians drink alcohol?
- Communion: Weekly, monthly, quarterly. Grape juice, or red wine?
- Worship style: Look out now...Contemporary, Hymns only, a blend of both, or something entirely different.
- Worship music: Instruments, no instruments, organs, drums, electric guitar, or acapella?
- Educating children: Homeschool, private school, public school (type 'education' to search this blog to see what I've wrote about this)
- Working Wives: Can, should women work outside the home?
- Eschatology: The study of end times. Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, and so on. (Thank God our salvation isn't based on knowing that which Christ said only the Father knows!) OK boys, put away the charts... :D
- Men wearing earrings
- Modes of baptism
- Paedo baptist vs. Credo baptist
- Denominations: (There are over 300 branches of Christians, with over 38,000 different denominations. Yikes!)
That which UNITES Christians:
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ!