Much has been written about John McCain's pick for Vice-President, Sarah Palin. She's the current Governor of Alaska, card carrying member of the NRA, Hunter, Fisher(woman), Wife, and mother of five. To say she's busy is an understatement. Much like my own wife!
Much of what I've read and heard as been either high-praise or great disappointment, with a little "not sure yet." What has surprised me however is that many Christians who I admire and respect are viewing this election and McCain's pick from the same paradigm as the Non-Christians. Should we be doing this? Is there a better alternative view to understanding this election and our current political landscape? I think so.
As Christians let us always remember our dual citizenship. We are simultaneously citizens of the United States of America and citizens of the Kingdom of God. So the big "E" on the eye chart is whether or not the Kingdom of God exists within the realm of this world or a world to come? How you answer this question I believe will determine how you vote in this election. And remember, I'm addressing Christians here, not all people in general.
The way I see it, American Christians have an obligation to vote because God determined to allow us to be born and live in such a time as this. As Adrian Rogers once said, "It is inconceivable to think that God would establish government and then tell His people to stay away from it." I agree, and so should you. Remember God's sovereignty, He knew who would be on the two tickets come this November when it's time for His people to cast their votes. God isn't surprised by McCain's pick like we were. A good Calvinist would say God chose Sarah Palin and not John McCain. Just like God chose Deborah to be Prophetess and Mother over Israel to bring shame to a man named Barak who refused to lead the nation to battle without her joining him. Hmmm, isn't there a Barak in today's picture as well?
So in determining your choice come this Novemeber keep some things in mind as you go to the voting booth:
- As a citizen of America, whick ticket will better seek the prosperity of our nation?
- As a citzen of the Kingdom of God, which ticket will be more likely to be a friend to Evangelical Christians so that we may better continue to fulfill the great commision and harvet as many souls as possible for the Kingdom?
- As a citizen of both, which ticket will seek to promote the sanctity of life which is of utmost importance in the Kingdom of God, and should be as well to any nation seeking God's guidance and blessing?
- Remember, sometimes a foolish man needs an intelligent woman to intercede for him and the nation he serves. (1 Samuel 25:3 "Now the name of the man was Nabal, and the name of his wife Abigail. The woman was discerning and beautiful, but the man was harsh and badly behaved; he was a Calebite.") Read all 1 Samuel 25 when you're able to!
- Jesus' Kingdom is not of this world. If it were, the Obama/Biden ticket wouldn't exist!
- Make the best decision for America as a citizen of this nation, and continue to make the best decisions for the Church as a citizen of God's Kingdom!
- Whoever is elected, the church still has their work cut out for them, continuing the mission of God!